Nov

The Roland KR-33 Digital Piano – Sleeping Giant

By Big Al
KR33 The Roland KR 33 Digital Piano   Sleeping Giant

The Roland KR-33 Digital Piano

If you’re looking for a good candidate for a digital stage piano, you would do well to check out the Roland KR 33. This useful keyboard is no longer made but can be found on the secondhand market. I’ve seen these on eBay going for between $300 and $400.

I only became aware of this keyboard because I was working in music retail when it first came out. Our store was shipped a palette of these by accident. When we opened them and set them up we just had a blast playing with them.

While the KR-33 originally intended to be a home digital piano, it works great on stage and in the studio. It has 76 synthesizer type keys, MIDI in and out, several voices including pianos, the ability to split and layer sounds, and just enough MIDI implementation to give it some power as a MIDI master controller.

As far as gigging with it, it’s light weight, easy to carry and is flat as a board on top; perfect for stacking another keyboard. Oh yes, I almost forgot… it also comes with a matching stand.

This would make an excellent piano/controller for any studio as well as being ready to go out and gig with you. And the going price on the used market ain’t bad either.

kr 22 02 The Roland KR 33 Digital Piano   Sleeping Giant

Related posts:

1. A Question About Roland Digital Pianos
Categories : Main

Comments

1. Linda Burnett says:

I like your site. Just found a used Roland KR-33 and it is terrific! I am looking for a used head-phone for late night practice. Thought I would run it by you first, in case you have one for purchase.

Would appreciate your input on one black key does not work. Someone had glued metal tabs (1 and 5/16 inches x 10/16 of an inch) on the lip of the frame beneath the keyboard, perhaps as chord indications. I removed one tab with some difficulty that was blocking the white key directly beside the dead key. Is it possible to open it up to check if the glue has affected the dead-key?

Thanks for your good site!

Linda Burnett in Florida

2. Big Al says:

A really nice priced headphone for practice is the MoreMe Deluxe, at about $30.00. Here’s a link: http://www.itrstudio.com/moreme.html

If you’re feeling adventurous you can carefully take the case apart and inspect the contacts. Be sure to note where how everything comes apart and where all the screws go. Taking digital photos as you go isn’t a bad idea.

If you have any doubt, I would say find a reputable tech in your area and let him or her check it for you.

Congratulations on your find!

3. Brenda says:

Hi Al! I have a Roland HP900 ditigal piano which is about 20 years old. I have a dropped black key and I would like to repair it myself if possible. The problem is I don’t know how to open up my piano to get at the guts. If you could give me any ideas, I would sure appreciate it. I’ve taken screws out of the back, but that got my nowhere. I’m lost!

4. Big Al says:

Boy Brenda, I don’t know. I’m sure you probably need to take some screws out of the bottom as well. But you have to be careful as some of those may be holding down critical components inside. Proceed with caution for sure!

It would be great if you could get ahold of the service manual for that model, which would most likely detail the disassembly procedure. I did a Google search but couldn’t locate anything. Perhaps Roland might have one available for purchase?

5. Shadow says:

Hi Al,

I have a Roland KR-33 and lost the power cord. Any idea’s where to get a new or compatible one?

6. Big Al says:

I’m pretty sure it uses either a two-prong or three-prong industry standard power cable that you can pick up at any electronics or computer store. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000067RWH/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000234TYI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0F5VVKT14RX8Z50TD9G8

7. Jerry says:

Al, I have a Kr33 purchased new. After about five years I noticed rattling inside the case but couldn’t get to it. Took to authorized service center and there had been a recall on the weights coming dislodged from the keys.They replaced the entire keyboard keys at no charge. I have used this at church and other gigs. I am looking for a buyer if any out there. Located in Texas.

8. Martin says:

Hi Big Al,

Yes, it’s a sleeping Giant :D

But know, i have a big problem.
    My highest F key not produce sound anymore.

I will contact a local music store see what they say.

Do you have an idea what it can be?

9. Big Al says:

There are a few things it could be. My best guess would be a worn or dirty key contact. If you’re handy with some basic tools and have the confidence to take the case off, it’s pretty easy to replace the contact strip. If you’re going to do that I would recommend doing whatever it takes to replace all of them. while you’re in there. I can’t remember if the KR-33 has just one strip for the whole keyboard or multiples.

At the very least your local repair shop should be able to take care of this in a jiffy.

10. Martin says:

Thanks B. Al

I started to screw a bit, but not sure about it, so i stopped.

I will call a local repair shot.

Btw,
    What’s your opinion about the “Casio Dig Piano CDP 200R”
    I’m planning to buy a 88 key’s.

M-Audio has nice stuff too, but…
    M-Audio Prokeys Sono 88, not stand alone, need a PC

M-Audio ProKeys 88sx looks fine.

11. Big Al says:

Yeah, if you have any doubts about your ability, good call to use a local shop.

On the Casio piano. I haven’t had the chance to actually lay my fingers on one, but I have seen a lot of really good feedback from good players. Same on the M-Audio stuff.

12. Martin fro mthe Netherlands says:

Well, Big Al

I order the M-Audio ProKeys 88
    I sell my old Giant Sleeper :D
    Not even going to repair that F key.
    Only con so far is that the M-Audio ProKeys 88 don\’t has a internal amp, but hey, just 449.00 Euro & deliver costs … in the Netherlands

I hope for you, you get your hands on one of these.

13. Big Al says:

Congratulations Martin! I know you’re going to really enjoy that new keyboard. :)

14. Martin from the Netherlands says:

Hi Big Al,

#*&* happends.

I missed friday morning de delivery man, so i need to wait till today.
    No big deal.
    Today i opened that nice big box and it hurted me what i saw.
    I big crack at the left side and also some lower keys stucked.
    Probably some one put that box to hard on the floor, Real hard.
    Tomorrow they will pick it up and send me a new one.
    Good service anyway.

The electronics still worked good and run some test. Not even linked it to my PC just at my Powered speaker system i use for this.
    Well, it’s a real damm nice machine :D

15. Big Al says:

Glad you hear you’re getting such great customer service!

16. peter rowe says:

i bought a 2nd hand kr33 over 20 years ago and it still works great, on top of it is a casio 811 ex which is also MIDI , together they produce great music :o )

17. Big Al says:

Nice! Great to hear your story. Do you have any audio examples online, like on YouTube, etc.?

18. Spring Neal says:

I was given a KR33 as a gift so I would learn the piano when I was only 13, now 21 years later the original wood stand has NOT made it through my many moves. I looked at replacing the Roland home stand and they are VERY PRICEY and aftermarket doesn’t seem to be an option. So, it seems that I am in the market for a home stand. I picked up a ‘keyboard stand’ and brought it home, but it appeared to be to small and ‘wobbly’ so I returned it and purchased a $70 double armed version from Proline (PL400) but it seems be too large. Is there something in between that is budget friendly. I just don’t want it to fall. I don’t play aggressively, just gently piano playing, maybe Im being too picky….HELP!!!!
    -Spring

19. Big Al says:

LOL Don’t stress too much over this. :)

It’s really a matter of personal preference. Is it sturdy enough for you? If you intend to move it around, is it easy for you to carry?

I think the PL400 is a very nice choice overall. Just slide the rubber bumpers toward the side that faces you and place the keyboard so that front of it is flush with the front of the stand bars pointing at you. Let the extra depth of the stand extend out behind the keyboard. I think you’re good to go!

20. Gene Charron says:

Just found your site Al and looking for some direction. I have a KR 33 Roland purchased new. Has been well taken care of in the home. I am the only user. Recently I have been getting some clicking sounds. Another issue is when I have chorus and lets say I am playing the organ it makes this click cuts out chorus and goes from organ to piano. This is all new. What I am kooking for is to repair are their any suggestions ?

21. Dave says:

Hi, B.A.
    I’m looking to purchase a KR-33 for my daughter so she can practice at my home without requiring a piano purchase, but I honestly know nothing about the things. Will it require an amp or anything in order to produce sound?

22. Big Al says:

The best thing I can say about those symptoms Gene is find your local Roland Repair Center and take it in for a diagnostic and an estimate.

23. Big Al says:

That’s the great thing Dave, it has its own built in speakers, no external amp is required. And you’ll find the headphone jack a welcome addition for some practice sessions. :)